Monday, July 23, 2012

Curb Appeal

 Even though we shouldn't, most people do judge a book by it's cover.   How many times have you read a crappy description on a book jacket and thought "wow, this book sounds horrible.... but I'm going to buy it anyways because maybe it really is good on the inside".   Yup.   Didn't think so.

We often use the same scale to judge houses.   If it's ugly outside, it's probably just as ugly inside.  Many houses that have zero curb appeal don't get a second look, but you might be surprised to find how many ugly houses are actually quite pretty on the inside.  

I don't know why, but houses whose lack of curb appeal don't line up with their inside really irritate me.   I guess I put them in the same sad catagory as "mom jeans".   I mean, you couldn't put forth a little more effort?   What, did you just spend all your time, money, and energy on the inside...so that by the time you got done you were just too exhausted to do anything about the exterior and the part that the rest of us have to look at?  Have some pride, and plan better.  But alas, I digress.
Pretty darn close to perfect!
This house looks like it's right out of a storybook!
So bright and airy..... you can tell that they did a great job with this reno.

I love arches.
We are fortunate to have many beautiful neighborhoods and homes in the area (especially inside the beltline in Raleigh), and you can tell that a lot of people take great pride in the appearance of their homes --- especially from the curb.   But generally speaking, curb appeal is something that I think is seriously taken for granted in many places.  

Those who put even a little energy into the outward appearance of their home usually see the benefits of their efforts tenfold.   Sure, you can go all-out with elaborate landscaping, stone, etc. but you don't have to.  Because many times, some cleaning up, great architectural details, and a coat of paint is all that's needed to give a house a fresh new face!

I'm a huge fan of homes built in the 20's - 50's.  The craftsman style is a particular favorite, but I really like homes with a Tudor flair as well.  I hate anything that's too symmetrical, and I love the interesting quirks and details in the architecture from this period.  It makes for great curb appeal, because it always keeps your eye moving!

These two clapboard siding Cape Cod style homes are near and dear to my heart since I grew up near that area.  I like the grey paint and white/ivory trim.  Simple rich, dark landscaping makes everything pop, and I love how both homes used traditional stone pavers.
This french country provencial is so elegant!  It's a very large scale home, but it manages not to look imposing or garish because of the soft cream stucco paint, and minimal adornements.  Love the ivy on the gate and the trimmed hedges.

Never underestimate the power of a great entry:

We'll be looking at some more houses in Charlotte over the next few weeks, so i'll be sure to post pics of some of my favs.... hopefully they will be as cool as these! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment